Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Greyscale Emotion Paintings

In my ART204 class, we had to create paintings that conveyed three different emotions (calmness, agitation, and happiness), and we had to use the same theme throughout the paintings.
To start, we had to choose a base color to use in all three paintings.  Mine was the medium purple color shown throughout.
Next, we had to pick a theme.  For mine, I wanted to keep it simple, so I used lines.  To convey calmness, I created a symmetrical pattern using vertical stripes.   For agitation, I used overlapping, asymmetrical, slanted lines.  To portray happiness, I tried to create lines that resembles sound waves.
In order to create a painting that portrays a certain emotion, it is easiest to put the colors into black and white, as shown by the first picture.  An image is calm if the base color has the darkest greyscale value when converted to black and white, agitated if the base has the lightest greyscale value in black and white, and happy if all colors have the same greyscale value in black and white.
The first image is showing the greyscale and how I was able to tell if the image would convey the correct emotion, and the second is my actual color painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment