Tuesday, November 15, 2016

What Is Art...This Is Art

For this project, we had to use the Xerox machine to make black and white copies of ourselves.  This means we could use our hands, feet, face...any body part or parts we wanted.  The entirety of the project was supposed to be done in black and white, meaning the background also, but I ended up using a red poster board for my background for two reasons.  One, red was the only color at the bookstore that was the correct size. And two, I personally wanted a red background to add a pop of color to the project.  I know I will most likely get points off for my decision, but I think it's worth it because I love the way it turned out.
For my project, I decided to photocopy my hands, and form my fingers into different letters.  I wanted to let everyone know that this is art.
This project ended up looking better in execution than it did in my head.  I did not have high hopes for how this would turn out, but was pleasantly surprised with the end result.
To be honest, I had no idea what to do for this project until about twenty four hours before I had to turn it in.  I kept thinking that if I tried not to focus so hard on coming up with an idea, one would eventually come to me out of nowhere.  Thank goodness I was right.
I really don't know where the inspiration came from specifically, but I can relate it back to something discussed in class.  A while back, there was a heated discussion about what constitutes as art, and the example of Marcel Duchamp's piece, "Fountain", was brought up.  For those of you who don't know, Duchamp's "Fountain" is simply a urinal with the signature "R. Mutt 1917" painted in black.  You can read more about it by clicking here.
Some people argued that this is not art.  Others argued the opposite.  Thus, the question formed in my mind, "What is art?"
I believe that every artist has their own view on the world, and that art is not a term that can be easily defined.  To say to an artist that their work is not art is to say that they are wrong.  In truth, they are not wrong, and neither are you.  You simply see the world differently.  
For example, some people say that pop art is unoriginal and artists today who are influenced by pop art are simply copying Andy Warhol.  Personally, I believe that pop art can be and is original.  While the influence may have come from another artist, as long as I am not stealing his exact work, the art is mine (hence, my Ode to Pop Art in my grid art).  An artist can be influenced by the works of another and still be their own person.  After all, imitation is the best form of flattery.
But I digress.  As I was saying, the question popped into my mind "What is art?"  I can't sit behind this computer screen and tell you what art is or isn't, but I can tell you that my Xerox Project is art.
Art comes in many forms, is influenced by many people, and is in the eye of the beholder.
So, I ask again, "What is art?"
This is art.


No comments:

Post a Comment